NJLM Code of Conduct
This Code of Conduct outlines our expectations for all those who participate in League meetings and events, as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior.
This policy applies to any “participant” at League of Municipalities (NJLM) events, including but not limited to staff, contractors, vendors, exhibitors, venue staff, members, presenters, and all attendees. We expect all participants to abide by this Code of Conduct in all venues at NJLM meetings and events, including ancillary events and official and unofficial social gatherings.
The League intends to maintain a welcoming professional atmosphere in all aspects of the Annual League Conference. To that end, conduct that violates this Code should not be tolerated by anyone who witnesses it, or is subjected to it.
Professional conduct includes using care in words that you choose. Harassment, even harassment that a person believes is a “joke,” is unacceptable behavior. Sexist, racist, and other exclusionary jokes are unacceptable and offensive to those around you. Excessive swearing and offensive jokes are not professional behavior and violate the League code of conduct. Retaliation for reporting harassment is a violation of the Code of Conduct.
Examples of Unacceptable Behaviors and Conduct
- Intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory or demeaning speech or actions.
- Harmful or prejudicial comments or images related to gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, age, appearance, or other personal characteristics.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking or following.
- Harassing photography or recording.
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events.
- Unwelcome and uninvited attention or contact, including unwelcome touching or groping.
- Real or implied threat of harm including physical, professional, or financial.
- Advocating for or encouraging any of the above behavior.
Participants engaging in unacceptable behavior are subject to responses deemed appropriate by the League including but not limited to: verbal warning, removal from NJLM events, prohibition from attending future events, notifying the offender’s employer. If you are subjected to, or witness such behavior, contact League staff. All reports are confidential to the extent permitted by law.
To Report Unacceptable Behavior – All Reports Are Confidential
During the Annual League Conference, contact any League Staff Member at 609-695-3481. League Staff will direct you to a trained person who will assist you. Your report and any assistance will remain confidential to the extent permitted by law.
In Case of Sexual Assault
- To Connect with Professionals with Relevant Expertise 24/7: New Jersey Coalition Against Sexual Assault (NJCASA): 800-601-7200
- New Jersey Crime Victim’s Law Center: 973-729-9342
- National Sexual Violence Hotline: 800-656-HOPE
- Rape Crisis Center in Atlantic County Atlantic County Women’s Center: 609-646-6767
- List of New Jersey Sexual Violence Service Program in Each County
If you have any questions, please contact:
Kristin Lawrence | Director, Conference Business Development
email@example.com or 609-695-3481 x125
Suzanne DeLany | Contract Administrator
firstname.lastname@example.org or 609-695-3481 x127